Why we’re here
Our vision is a society where everybody enjoys a good later life
Our mission to achieve this is to:
- bring about change to improve later lives
- bring fresh thinking to the challenges and opportunities that society faces as more people live longer
- develop, share and apply evidence to help people age better
How we work
There are five guiding principles to help us realise our mission:
- We start with the person: What we do is rooted in what matters to people as they prepare for and experience later life. We will work across sectors and boundaries and listen to and act on the voices of those we are here to help.
- We are focused on change: We aim to help as many people as possible, while also focusing on those most likely to miss out. We are in it for the long term, seeing through our commitments, making a difference today and for future generations.
- We are driven by evidence: Evidence drives everything we do. We use evidence – and what we learn – to inform what we do, how we do it, what we say, and how we measure our impact.
- We are confident and independent: Our independence allows us to be bold and innovative. We are not afraid to speak out and challenge assumptions, based on what the evidence tells us. We try out new things, including working on issues no one else is.
- We are open and collaborative: We collaborate with organisations and individuals, sharing our knowledge and learning. We are transparent in our approach, decisions, and the impact of our work, and are always open to ideas and innovation.
Why we do it
We believe that more people living longer represents a huge opportunity for society. The potential is there for most of us to live for longer in good health, to have financial security, and to be connected with others. Realising this opportunity, however, needs a radical shift both in the way we think about our lives, and how society responds to the opportunities and challenges of an ageing population
The Centre for Ageing Better aims to bring about changes in society that enable more people to enjoy a good later life.